Candida is a fungus and a form of yeast that lives inside our mouths and intestines in small quantities. It’s sole purpose is to aid with digestion and nutrient absorption. When we over indulge in refined sugar, alcohol, fermented foods, live stressful lives or take oral contraceptives or antibiotics, we open the door for the tiny amount of candida to multiply. Once multiplied, your body will let the candida grow unchecked, resulting in yeast overgrowth. This overgrowth takes over the gut and lives off of sugar. Since they are living organisms, they can send signals to your brain when they need to be fed, which is why many of us crave sugar. The overgrown yeast produces metabolites, which can lead to leaky gut syndrome, allowing undigested food particles, chemicals and other substances to get into the blood. As a result, the body’s ability to properly digest food or expel toxins is adversely impacted. Those who suffer from candida overgrowth experience one of more of the following symptoms.
- Athlete’s feet
- Toenail infections
- Skin issues such as eczema, psoriasis, rashes, and hives
- Bloating, constipation, and diarrhea
- Autoimmune disease such as Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis
- Difficulty concentrating, poor memory, lack of focus, ADD, ADHD and brain fog
- Irritability, mood swings, anxiety, or depression
- Recurring vaginal or urinary tract infections
- Rectal or vaginal issues
- White thrush or red bumps on the male penis
- Mild – severe food or seasonal allergies
- Itchy ears
- Intense cravings for sugar and refined carbohydrates cravings
- Tired and worn down feeling
- White film on tongue or thrush
In fact, in some cases of cancer, physicians have determined that candida is the true culprit. That’s why it’s important to keep it in check.
To determine whether or not your candida levels are out of balance, you can perform a test at home. First thing in the morning, spit into a clear glass of water. If the saliva floats to the top, your candida levels are acceptable. If within 15 minutes, you see think projections extending downward into the water or the saliva is cloudy and sinks to the bottom of the glass, you probably have a candida imbalance in your body.
So, how do you get this condition under control? Focus on restoring the balance in your gut flora by consuming foods that don’t feed the excess candida. There are a myriad of essential oils and herbs that can expedite this process. If you would like to learn more, feel free to reach out and set up an initial consultation with me.
Love and light.