#Sherriceisms – I have rules!
Do you celebrate holidays that are different than those mandated by the Gregorian calendar? I do. In fact, I celebrate solstices, equinoxes, Kwanzaa, full moons, new moons, birthdays, and personal, family, and friend accomplishments. Here are the top 10 reasons why and I’d love to hear about your personal holidays in the comments field.
1.Nature celebrations are an exchange. I give honor to the great I am within me for the creation and I get wisdom and healing in return.
2. My ancestors celebrated this way before religions existed.
3. I can celebrate solo or with a crowd.
4. I see the fruit of my efforts year after year.
5. No drama because I don’t spend a bunch of money on these celebrations. I light candles, meditate, chant, play games, and/or have fellowship with others. No gifts required unless that’s what we agree to do.
6. I create the rituals. There’s no authority telling me what to do so it’s genuine, unique, and authentic. And if I decide not to celebrate, no one asks me a million questions and calls me Scrooge.
7. I don’t get sick. Since most of the celebration food is my own, plant based, and sugar free, I feel alive after the celebration.
8. Because I want to.
9. Because I like to be different than others. Groupthink makes me nervous.
10. It feels good to me. I attend other holiday celebrations to be with my family. Truth is, I enjoy my family, yet the whole fabricated event to bring us together doesn’t feel good to me. I like to do what feels good.